lundi 1 octobre 2007

Never Too Late

Well, I guess it has been a while, but not too much has happened… OK, well a lot has happened, but nothing too surprising.

First, I have a home. After being kicked out of the temporary housing, I was forced to stay at a friend’s chambre de bonne (maid’s room directly translated, but currently a popular housing option for students.) I decided to become a “demi jeune fille au pair,” or part time nanny. This is a good way to get free housing. Well, free for my parents, but about 15 hours a week of my time. I went on quite a few interviews and finally found a match. I only had to stay at Kristin’s (thanks Kristin) for one night. I am now living in the 16th arrondissement of Paris. You may be thinking, why have I never heard of the 16th? And the answer is because nothing happens here. It is primarily residential, but nonetheless has some pretty cool things. In the northern part of the arrondissement there are quite a few embassies and a horse racing track. Also, the stadium for the French National Football (soccer) team is not too far away. Hopefully I will be able to see a match one day. Other than that, the 16th is pretty dull and I like it that way. As usual, I don’t have any pictures up yet, but I will get them up soon. I am going to try and post some of other things this afternoon. Who knows, by the time you all wake up, I might have them posted.

The second important thing that happened is my education. Yep, I am getting schooled here in Paris. I had a preparatory language class for four weeks, which started and ended between blogs, my bad. It was pretty good. The best part was definitely the field trips; we got to go to Fountainebleau (on left), a castle not too far from Paris. In this picture it seems to me like Fountanebleau should be floating on clouds. We also got to see a really cool museum about the history of Paris, the musée Carnavalet. We also got to see one of the opera houses (on right) and it was amazingly detailed. Frankly, I prefer the simplicity of design, but I guess when it comes to décor, “if you got it flaunt it.” Anyhow, I have pictures of all this and will try and get them up if I can win the battle of man (or woman) vs. machine.

Also, I had my first real class today at my university… which if you were all wondering is l’Institut Catholique de Paris (The Catholic Institute of Paris). Yeah, I am going to spend the year chillin’ with the priests-to-be. But I want to finish this week before I start ranting about how hard my classes are, so more to come. So yeah, that is about it for now and I hope you are all well!

-Kathy

2 commentaires:

elaine a dit…

finally finally. thanks for the update, kathy!

Romi a dit…

Jeez Kathy! Took you long enough to post an update! I wanna hear more "eez deez what you need" stories LOL that was so funny you story about Sephora!
Keep us posted!
FYI:I live in your arrondissment now!