jeudi 23 août 2007

C'est Parti

OK, so I got to Paris alright. My travels were long, but well worth it. I got to see some family in Houston, which was nice and a little humid. My flight from Houston to Paris was with Air France and I have to admit that was the nicest flight of my life. Not only was the airplane food good, but there was a choice of movies and they gave out free headphones (not that I needed them, but the gesture was nice).

Also, while I was sad to be leaving the US and friends and family, my worries were tamed when I met a nice couple from Paris. They really showed me that living with the French was not going to be that bad (probably even great). The woman was Mexican, but spoke both French and English and her husband was French and spoke both French and Spanish. It was great; they even let me have the window seat!

I took a taxi from the airport to my hostel, BVJ, in the Latin Quarter. The taxi driver was really nice and we talked about his being from Chad and many other things on the ride into the city. I know that most people don’t talk to their taxi drivers, but I find it difficult not to when so far as I have found, they are very interesting people from places that I have never been (hopefully that will change soon).

I guess I forgot to mention that it is very rainy in Paris now. Apparently it is unusual, but it still kind of stinks. Yesterday in my mad effort to stay awake for the day (to avoid jet lag), I took the metro to go and see the office of the coordinators for my program, MICEFA (I would put the words for the acronym, but I can never remember them). There, I was able to send a few emails to notify my arrival (with a bit of difficulty adjusting to the new keyboard… only a few keys are different, but it is still hard; I almost signed my name Kqthy.) and also got a bit of a head start on setting up things for my stay. The people were very genial and I was happy to see someone who at least new who I was even though I had never met them.

At this point it had stopped raining so hard so I decided to walk back to the hostel, because I had time before the room would be ready. This may have been a bad idea. I started and walking and before long it was raining again. Luckily I had my rain jacket, but I still decided to stop at a café and have a beer (isn’t Europe great for underage drinking?). I then continued my trek back to the hostel and it continued to rain even harder, but I got to walk along the Seine and see the Isle de France. It was amazing; I finally realized that I am actually here. After all the applications and waiting and telling people, I finally made it. YAY! Once I got back to the hostel I made it a few more hours, but at 8:30 (20h30) I gave in to the sleepiness. I went to sleep without even eating dinner and didn’t wake up until morning. This morning I met some girls at breakfast, a Peruvian and a Swiss and while communication was not exactly easy, it was fun. I am going to go sight seeing with them tomorrow and will hopefully have some pictures.

So, here I am now, using Paris’ free WiFi system, writing this message and seeing the sun pop up behind the clouds (a mirage I am sure, but wouldn’t it be nice?). So I guess that is it for now (as if I didn't write a ton), but more soon!


10 commentaires:

Unknown a dit…

seriously that was a lot. but it's good because i kind of feel like i'm right there with you. we'll definitely be out to visit next spring!

Unknown a dit…

That sounds fantastic! If you didn't bring a bike with you, I highly recommend renting one. It's a great way to see the city. You're going to love Paris and never want to come home! I'm so glad you're doing well :)

Unknown a dit…

Don't use conterfit money!! I remember on I Love Lucy, she used conterfit money that she got from some guy off the street (unknowingly), and she almost got deported or something like that..... =P

kelsea a dit…

Sounds like you are having a great time already! when reading about your walk along the seine in the rain, i reminisced about first walk abouts in belgium and the excitement felt. I am so glad that you got the opportunity to do another exchange. take care and keep us posted!

Unknown a dit…

Hey Kathy,
My study abroad in Paris was absolutley amazing and I'm sure yours will be as well. Where are you staying and where are you going to school??

Meg a dit…

just to start off, I saw that Becca was saying something about "we'll" and I am not sure "we'll" really means. If I am able to come I will, but I don't see that happening at this point. Maybe if I get a raise. ok, I am glad to hear that you finally made it and you realize that. I am sure that you will have a blast. I look forward to the many coming messages. take care of youself. love, Meg

Berenice LM a dit…

Ravie d'avoir de vos nouvelles Kathy, en espérant que vous passiez une très bonne année! Mangez quelques croissants et chaussons aux pommes (mes préférés) de ma part! Prof. LM

Anonyme a dit…

already signed up for vacation during the 1st 2 weeks of April!

Military Connections a dit…

I am so glad you made it safely. I loved reading about your travels. Be safe and have fun.
xoxo
Summer

Benjamin Goudy a dit…

i'm glad you're having a good time. i bet you're going to meet some crazy people! you'd better be taking good care of yourself.